Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to 5 Star Support a free computer help forum in association with 5starsupport.com. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Problems Viewing Camera VideoDownload to Computer
skyclad
Posted: Mar 4 2013, 01:07 AM

Senior-Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

Hello..
I'm having problems playing videos I've taken with my camera. When I click on a downloaded (from my camera) video icon on my computer, it says to "choose from a list" the source of what created the file (I don't know this, but usually choose Internet Explorer..).. The final message I get regarding this problem is that I need to download a .THM file extension. Do you know where I could find a locale to download this safely and for free?? I tried a site earlier, and it wanted $$$ to do this.. I suspect there are free locales as well? Please let me know what to do regarding this problem. My Camera is a Sony Cyber-shot 14.1 megapixel.. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need further information..
Thank you!
S
PS Says the "file type" is MPEG-4 Audio Layer
File extension: .thm
1101doc
Posted: Mar 4 2013, 02:02 AM

Admin

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 7

As I understand it, the .thm files are just thumbnails for the (likely) AVI files that are really the videos.

I suggest VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I have yet to attempt a file it could not play.

--------------------
Neurons that fire together wire together.
Posted with Opera
skyclad
Posted: Mar 5 2013, 09:56 PM

Senior-Member

Hello 1101doc and thanks for your reply.
I downloaded the player on the link you provided and it did open the vidClips that would not open before.. I thank you! Since I don't really like this player as much as Windows Media Player however, I suppose the question I was really asking is if there is something I could download to the WMP that would enable IT to play these types of files.. Is that an option in any way? If not, I'll keep the other player handy to play the ohSo esoteric Camera videos.. Please let me know if this is an option..
Thanks in advance for all info provided!
1101doc
Posted: Mar 5 2013, 10:22 PM

Admin

Sorry, I just don't know. Early in my computing life I had similar troubles with WMP and found VLC. Since it worked so well I just stayed with it. I actually have WMP disabled on my system.

But~ VLC is skinnable. If the only issue is the ugly interface perhaps you'd be happier with one of these: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php

Anyway, glad you could play the vids. Good luck, and stop back anytime. Someone else may have the answer you want.

--------------------
Posted with Opera
Ned Seagoon
Posted: Mar 6 2013, 05:22 AM

Global Moderator

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 4

VLC player has many more codex's than Windows media player, until Microsoft add the additional codex to their media player you are stuck with VLC.

I think you would have more luck contacting the makers of VLC to get them to change their interface, than you would have contacting Microsoft for the addition of a codex.

--------------------
Hello Folks
skyclad
Posted: Mar 6 2013, 02:36 PM

Senior-Member

Thanks so much for your replies..
You know, I really like the new player you suggested except for one thing........perhaps this "one thing" can be fixed through altering settings I'm unaware of. I'm hoping I can describe adequately what I'm referring to.
Let's say I have a file with multiple video clips in it. When I click on the first vidClip, it plays fine............then I want to watch the next clip. When I click on the second vidClip, the player does not "expand" automatically to full screen........I have to put my cursor over the player on the taskBar and click to see it.......otherwise it just plays out there and doesn't expand automatically as WMP does.. Is there a setting to fix this? Please inform........and thanks again for your help!
S
PS It appears I'm not receiving email notification of replies, despite what it says below (between checked boxes and the Emoticons.. I went into settings the other day to fix and thought I had taken care of this problem...........but problem remains. Just checked the Spam folder and it's clean.. Would welcome any suggestions on this, or you altering my settings on your end to receive notifications if possible..
Thanks!
S
skyclad
Posted: Mar 8 2013, 08:04 PM

Senior-Member

Hello...
Ok, so I'll assume there are no setting controls to fix the problem I described earlier.. Will just keep both players on hand, depending what I need them for..
Can you please help me with my email notification settings.. I think they are in place, but did not receive notification on any of your followUps..
Thanks,
S
1101doc
Posted: Mar 8 2013, 09:16 PM

Admin

Ummm... I didn't get a notification of Ned's post or your reply after his, so perhaps there was a board glitch?

Anyway~

Under email settings in your profile, just make sure Enable 'Email Notification' by default? is checked.

Yes, there is a setting to get VLC always open to "full screen:" Tools>Preferences>Video>Display>Full Screen. Check the box.

--------------------
Posted with Opera
skyclad
Posted: Mar 21 2013, 08:31 PM

Senior-Member

Hello 1101 doc...
Thanks for your response back..
Well, I took some new vidClips today and reDownloaded the player suggested......made the adjustments you described, and the clips still remain on the task bar at the bottom when clicking on a series of clips. The player does open to "full screen", but to see it you have to click on the playerIcon that is still located in the taskbar.
Just in case I didn't explain the problem adequately last time, I'll try to elaborate a bit to see if we're on the same page here..
When clicking on a video file that has several vidClips in it.......I'll click on the first clip, it plays fine and then stops. I go back to the file and click on the next clip.........and instead of "blowing up" to full screen from it's location in the taskbar (at the bottom of the screen), it simply plays without opening AUTOMATICALLY as it does with WMP.. This is especially irritating since you can hear the new clip's audio playing, but the video is still at the bottom..........and you have to click on it to get it to open to view.. I'm wanting this to happen automatically, and is what I'm used to..
Hoping that helps further explain my problem.. As far as the email notifications are concerned, all the correct stuff has been checked.. We'll see if I get an alert when you respond to this post....
Thanks again for your help..
1101doc
Posted: Mar 22 2013, 01:22 PM

Admin

Well, I've never tried playing a series of Vidclips like that so I think that your best shot would be the VLC forum. I'm sure that someone there has a straightforward answer.
http://forum.videolan.org/ Good luck.

--------------------
Posted with Opera
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Imaging | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0301 seconds · Archive